Subject: Re: [Leica] invisibility
From: brad daly <bwdaly@hiwaay.net>
Date: Sun, 15 Jul 2001 22:49:13 -0500

dan:

>effortlessly, spontaneously--that whole zen naked lake-wading business.

did you do a self-portrait of this?  ;)

>What was most astonishing about this was that no one seemed to notice me at
>all (or cared).  Ordinarily, I'm opaque, but in these few moments (about 1
>roll's worth of shooting) I was utterly transparent.  I could get as close
>as the composition demanded without fear or hesitation.

i was very close to this several times yesterday at the wedding i mentioned
previously.  part of it, i'm convinced, is simply because the M6 is small
and quiet--oh, so quiet--people don't get jarred and intimidated by the
klick-whirr-buzz of an SLR.  plus, and i'm totally convinced of this, flash
bothers people.  if i'd shot 20 rolls with flash, i would have driven
everyone crazy.

i did have a couple of what felt like decisive moments--not sure i've ever
had a decisive moment before--one was the bride brushing her teeth in vail
and undergarments.  the other was flower girl and ring bearer gallivanting
in the middle of a golf course surrounded by seemingly-oblivious golfers.

>Don't get me wrong: this disappearing act doesn't mean dissociation from the
>scene.  Just the opposite: it's a kind of seeing that's so intimately
>connected to the scene that there is no distance, no separation, and so no
>photographer vs. subject.  There is just seeing.

to continue in the vein above, i really think the M6 lends itself to
this--or, more specifically, it does for me.  it just feels as if there is
*so little* between me and the picture i'm taking.

- --brad

- --
brad daly	                  bwdaly@hiwaay.net
photographs: http://home.hiwaay.net/~bwdaly
"I can't imagine anything good about being blind and lame at the same time."
	--Alvin Straight
"War, what is it good for?  It's good for business."
	--Billy Bragg