Subject: RE: [Leica] WAS: Bokeh'm somebody, naw nuke it! ;-)
From: "Dan Honemann" <ddh@home.com>
Date: Sun, 15 Jul 2001 12:36:40 -0400

David,

> With all due respect, I don't think it's the differences in the
> out of focus areas that make or break these images.

Perhaps so.  I want to say that bokeh, like many other image traits, is not
additive, but subtractive: good bokeh (like good resolution) will not _make_
an image compelling, but bad bokeh (like bad resolution, contrast or flare)
can only distract from an otherwise compelling photo.

But it is senseless to divorce any of these traits from the whole.  They are
all integral to the image.

I'm not so sure that the following image:

http://members.aol.com/zeissleica/private/Bluebells.jpg

...would or would not have worked if it weren't for the extremely
distracting out of focus area in the background.  It's futile to speculate,
because this image stands on its own, replete with its distinct bokeh.  To
say that the bokeh breaks the image, or that a different treatment of the
background would make it, is purely conjecture (and highly subjective, of
course).

But there's no example I could give that would avoid these pitfalls.

Dan

Replies: Reply from Mark Rabiner <mark@rabiner.cncoffice.com> (Re: [Leica] WAS: Bokeh'm somebody, naw nuke it! ;-))