Subject: Re: [Leica] My New Summicron 50 chirps
From: V8PWR@aol.com
Date: Sun, 15 Jul 2001 03:16:47 EDT

Dans un courrier daté du 15/07/01 06:20:14 Paris, Madrid (heure d'été),
matthew.kollasch@uni.edu a écrit :

> I received my new M6 on Thursday and developed the first roll of Tri-X
>  today. I am happy with what I see through the loupe.  However, today the
>  Summicron started chirping ... like a bird when I adjust the f stop ...
>  especially around 5.6.  Strange but true: this lens squeaks.  I was told
>  by the dealer I bought if from that I would have to send it into Leica
>  because I had already sent the warranty cards in.  This is disappointing
>  because I would have much rather get a direct exchange from the dealer.
>
>  Thus, two questions:
>  Have any of you ever "heard" of a chiping Leica lens?  Must be a lack of
>  lubrication? Arrgh!
>
>  And despite the fact that I had so "diligently" sent in the warranty
>  cards for the lens and body, do you think it possible to get an exchange
>  directly from the dealer or am I now relegated to dealing direclty with
>  Leica... and then having a long wait for the return of my only Leica
>  lens?
>
>  Still , I am enjoying the M6 and 50 MM focal length.  Thanks.
>
>  /matt kollasch

Hello Matt . Is this a Black or Chrome chirping 50 ?
Black ones do generally chirp at sunset ! :)
More seriously , I tend not to send the Leica cards of new stuff .

What I also do now is when I buy new stuff at my local store , I
try to test the stuff , even for just half a day , to see if it's OK .

But anyway if the " chirping " is there , the lens has to go back .
Can't you have your dealer lend you a demo ?

JO GOODTIMES -FRANCE/ AIRBORNE RADAR TECH / LIVE FREE OR DIE
will soon be moving to Metz