Subject: Re: [Leica] Transparency Development
From: "Roy Zartarian" <royzart@connix.com>
Date: Fri, 13 Jul 2001 16:41:32 -0400

One consideration to keep in mind when self processing small
quantities of E6 film is the life of the chemistry once mixed.  The
manufacturers with which I have experience all note a 2 week life
for the first developer.  Because of the limited life of the chemistry,
you may not find it economically feasible to do your own E6 if you
have to dump the chemicals before they're used to capacity.

That said, I will note that I generally do my own E6 (and b&w)
processing in a Jobo CPE2 with lift, using the Tetenal 3-bath .5 liter
kits. I use the Jobo because I can use smaller amounts of the
developing materials in rotary processing comparison with the
agitation method and because the Jobo does a darned good job of
temperature control. The latter is an important factor in E6.  With
the 1540 tank I can do 4 rolls at  time and I use the .5 liter kit as
one-shot since the capacity is six rolls.

I estimate that if I use a kit to completion I save almost half the
cost of commercial processing.  The big advantage for me is the
convenience of not having to make two trips to the lab.  OTOH, if
I've only a couple of exposed rolls and don't know when I'll have an
opportunity to shoot more, the lab does the work.  Interestingly
enough, I've also found that doing my own E6 has made me more
critical of the results.  Because my little manual slide mounter is
such a pain to use, I've become very selective as to which frames
make it into mounts and which go into the trash.

The only time I had problems with processing with the Jobo was
when my thermometer went bad on me.  Yes - it does happen. And
during that time I ended up with reticulated Tri-X and slides with a
funky magenta cast. I now use two thermometers - one alcohol,
one mercury - as a check against each other.

Roy

Replies: Reply from Nathan Wajsman <wajsman@webshuttle.ch> (Re: [Leica] Transparency Development)