Subject: RE: [Leica] Panoramics using Leica.
From: "Zeissler, Mitch" <mzeissle@gcipoa.gannett.com>
Date: Thu, 12 Jul 2001 09:02:21 -0400

I echo much of what Dave has posted.

For the initial film-based images taken with the Noctilux, I shot on
tripod, but I kept the same exposure throughout the series.  I did not
level it, as I was not initially thinking of a panorama or digital
manipulation later; I just wanted to record it for memories sake.

I scanned the images on my HP PhotoSmart s20xi with all the auto
features turned off and at highest resolution.  This resulted in
enormous file sizes of 160MB per image; too big for me to work with.  I
re-scanned the images with a more manageable 80MB per image, 320MB for
all four of them together.

I then used Photoshop to remove all the dust and defects, but made no
cropping, color or contrast adjustments.  I then used Ulead Cool 360 to
stitch the images together.  I will likely use a different stitch
program in the future, as Cool 360 was overwhelmed with the size of the
files.  After stitching, I then made all of the color and contrast
adjustments to the entire panorama in Photoshop.  The final 320MB
uncropped image I saved in TIF form, then made cropped and JPG versions
from the big file.

Frankly, this project was too much for my machine [Pentium Pro 200MHz,
128MB RAM, 4GB HD, 8MB 3D accelerated video card, Win9x, Photoshop 5.0]
and I have since replaced it [Pentium III 1GHz, 512MB RAM, 30GB HD, 32MB
Invidia video card, Win2K, Photoshop 5.5].

/Mitch