Subject: Re: [Leica] Anybody want some Kodachrome 25/36 film?
From: Mark Rabiner <mark@rabiner.cncoffice.com>
Date: Wed, 11 Jul 2001 20:08:33 -0700

Jim Shulman wrote:

> Hey Mark,
>
> A few years ago you could get K-25 in 24 exp rolls, 36 exp rolls, 2-paks,
> and professional version
> Ditto for K64
> Pro and standard versions for K200
>
> Then we lost Pro version of K25.
>
> Next it was alternate packaging of K25.
>
> Then it was Pro version of K64
>
> Now it's Pro version of K200, alternate packaging of K64, and total
> discontinuance of K25.
>
> A trend?  It doesn't sound like a film that Kodak's interested in
> supporting, or promoting, or certainly improving.
>
> Waning, perhaps?
>
> On the other hand,
>
> Kodak lost three rolls of K64 that I shot last year.  From what Tina's
> posted, I'm not the only one to suffer this fate.
>
> They ignore my processing and mounting instructions.
>
> They return the wrong film.
>
> They mount the film in warped cardboard, filled with dirt chunks.  I have to
> remount film and spend a half hour with a compressed air can.
>
> Quality?  Try waning.
>
> Send me five fresh rolls of Velvia, and you can KEEP the Kodachrome!  Hold
> up the flag high!  Stop waning in its tracks.
>
> Jim

I've had no such problems with getting back the wrong film.

They ignore my special processing and mounting instructions because I don't give
them any.

I want my film back. I get it back. Generally the next day from either
Cameraworld or Wolfs even.
I never got service like that 10 or 20 years ago. If the trend keeps up I'll be
picking it up same day!

I've never bought a two pack in my life it's been decades since I've
intentionally bought a 24 exposure roll. No the different versions are not
needed. Two packs GEE! All that's really needed is K64 and I don't even care if
it's in a pro version even as I've shot plenty of it on a professional basis
with just testing out bricks and aging it ourselves. Pro films are a luxury. I
can live without Kodaks freezer I've got my own.
It seems obvious Kodak is cutting back to bare bones on lots of it's non digital stuff.
But acting like it's a lost and disappearing cause is both not realistic nor
does it do anyone any good.

Have fun with your Velvia and your other cheese spreads!
Kodachrome rules! It's a big reason to own a 35mm camera system. I'm sure there
are still plenty of people who still shoot 35mm film ONLY Betcha of Kodachrome
if Kodachrome DID go so would their 35mm cameras.

Mark Rabiner

Portland, Oregon
USA

http://www.rabiner.cncoffice.com/