Subject: RE: [Leica] [leica] re: what put you over the top?
From: "Rodgers, David" <david.rodgers@xo.com>
Date: Wed, 11 Jul 2001 19:21:17 -0500

Ray,

>>I will be an unwilling user of digital, if I'm ever forced down that
track, but I daresay I'll
get over it.<<

I don't see digital as an all or nothing thing thing. I see it as just
another type of film and processing, and at times a darn handy type. It has
strengths. It has  weaknesses.

A friend of mine just took a very high end professional digital camera on an
assignment to Seattle. I just received several posts lamenting how badly the
thing ate batteries. And it's a heavy beast of a camera. But it's the modern
instant film.

I'd recommend that anyone who's not involved in digital imaging on any
level, get involved immediately. I don't mean buy a digital camera (I don't
own one). But quality scanning is very inexpensive. I long for the day when
we have as many images referenced on the LUG as we have text posts. Perhaps
CAWs (critique a week) as well as PAWs.

I stopped e-mailing images to friends and just post them on my site. It's
orders of magnitude easier than mailing copies to friends and relatives
around the globe. I also still print b/w images in my home darkroom.

I've been scanning for nearly two years now. My scanning equipment is
getting a bit dated, but it still has lots of life left. Digital imaging has
taught me a great deal. Not so much about technology (I have an IT
background) but about all aspects of photography. Digital is a great
educational tool. If my Coolscan III did nothing more than act as a
densiometer it would have been worth it.

FWIW, I only feed it Leica negs and trannies.

Dave

PS, here's a photograph of the Director of a Berkeley based choral group at
a gig in the Berkeley's Farmers Market. It's a Leica image, albiet
photoshopped a bit. I don't consider it fine art. I consider it as fun art.
That's what photography is to me. Fun. Just 30K in size.
http://www.lightcurves.com/images/sing7.jpg

Replies: Reply from Rich Lahrson <tripspud@transbay.net> (Re: [Leica] [leica] re: what put you over the top?)