Subject: Re: [Leica] Help needed for a new purchaser
From: Brian Reid <reid@mejac.palo-alto.ca.us>
Date: Wed, 11 Jul 2001 09:56:49 -0700

I just this moment (Wed Jul 11 16:54 GMT) tested the search facility and it
works fine. Searching is done by keyword, and the more messages that match your
search the longer it will take. So, for example, if you type the keyword "lens"
for your search, it might take 5 minutes to process; if you type "noctilux" it
might take 2 minutes, and if you type "noctilux black tape" it will come back
in 10 or 15 seconds, as not very messages contain all of the words "noctilux",
"black", and "tape".

The search computer is a 200MhZ PC. Right now is a really good time to buy used
computers from failed software companies, and I have bought 3 used server
computers for $129 each from Action Computer in Santa Clara; by the end of the
summer one of them will be a dedicated archive/search computer for the photo
archives.