Subject: Re: [Leica] Anthony' photos
From: "Mxsmanic" <mxsmanic@hotmail.com>
Date: Tue, 10 Jul 2001 09:21:02 +0200

Dan Honemann asks:

> > I have Java permanently disabled.
>
> How do you do this (MS IE 5)?

In Tools | Internet Options, on the Advanced tab, uncheck everything under
Microsoft VM.  Then, under the security tab, and for the Internet zone (at
least--you may want to restrict it for other zones), click on Custom Level and
select Disable Java under Microsoft VM, and Disable under Scripting of Java
applets on Scripting.

You can follow similar steps to disable Javascript (which is different from
Java).  However, Javascript is considerably more harmless and I currently leave
it enabled in every zone except the Restricted zone.  I have all other active
features (such as all ActiveX stuff) set to Prompt, and I routinely say No when
prompted to run them while visiting a site (I'd turn them off, but I use the PDF
control occasionally, so I set for a prompt instead).

I also routinely put questionable sites and advertising sites in the Restricted
zone, where I have _everything_ turned off.  This makes them less of a nuisance.
Indeed, for the worst offenders, I've done some additional tweaking, by pointing
their addresses to my local machine in my HOSTS file, and then letting my local
Web server (which answers only requests from the local machine) return a blank
page for these sites, thereby turning all ads to simple gray squares, and
speeding the display of pages containing advertising.

Finally, in Outlook Express, I've set the program to run in the Restricted zone
(Tools | Options | Security) to help avoid any trouble with HTML mail (there
doesn't seem to be a way to force Outlook Express to stop displaying e-mail in
HTML entirely).