Subject: [Leica] 75 Summilux-M and bokah
From: Peter Klein <pklein@2alpha.net>
Date: Mon, 09 Jul 2001 23:49:15 -0700

Re. 50mm vs. 35mm:

I've been full-circle on this one.  For a time in the 70s, I had only a 50
DR Summicron on my late, lamented M2. Then I got a 90 Tele-Elmarit.  I
didn't have a 35.  I occasionally missed it, but not as much as you might
think.

In the 80s, I had only my IIIf, and again, for a time, only a 50.  Once I
got a 35 and a 90 to go with it, I used the 50 less.  But one big reason
for this was size and weight.  I could go hiking with just a 35/3.5 and
90/4 combo, and it was often enough.

Now I have an M4-P and a choice of 24, 35, 50 or 90.  At the beginning of
my travels in Italy, I used the wider lenses more, and kept the 35 on most
of the time.  As time passed, I started using the 50 more and more, and I'm
glad I did.  There is much less extraneous stuff in my 50 shots.  Part of
this may be because I wear glasses and don't always see the edges of the
35mm frame, so more creeps in.  But another reason is that the 50 forces
you to make the part stand for the whole, whereas the 35 tempts you into
trying to get everything into the picture.  Less is usually more in
35mm-format photos.

If you told me I could have only one lens from now on, I would not hesitate
to pick the 50.  I could live with the 35, too, but I think the 50 suits me
more, and forces me to concentrate on essentials.  Plus, 50mm lenses are
generally cheaper and often better optically than other lenses.

I think the 35 and 50 are quite different in personality, and not at all
too close together.  It isn't just angle of view, it's how close the lenses
force you to be to your subject, and what that does to both perspective and
your relationship to the subject.  A 35 is probably better as your
"default" lens if you do most photography indoors and/or at close quarters
and must include significant amounts of background.  A 50 is probably
better if you have more room or like to zero in on things more.  With a 35
(or wider), the photographer is often a participant in the picture.  With a
50, you are more of an observer.

All this is to some degree a matter of taste, whatever floats your boat,
and how close the walls are.  Another way of looking at is that the
difference between 35 and 50 is two paces.

But I think some people prefer the 35 because it's what the "pros"
use.  Use a 50 and you're a mere amateur.  Use a 35 and you are a great
photojournalist in progress.  Show me someone thinks like that and I'll
show you someone who heavily crops their photos--or ought to.

- --Peter Klein
Seattle

At 07:57 PM 07/09/2001 -0700, B.D. sez: