Subject: [Leica] comparing new & old lenses (was: Leicas spotted on the BIG screen....)
From: "Howard Sanner" <flagstad@mindspring.com>
Date: Mon, 09 Jul 2001 21:23:40 +0000

>Incidently, I took an M6 with a Summicron 50 and a IIIc with an
>Elmar 50 to the beach- ostensibly the M6 was for color and the
>IIIc was for B&W, but I at one point had color film in both. The
>interesting thing is that when I got the prints back, I could
>not tell which roll was shot with which camera! I guess if I put
>the negatives under the 'scope at 20x I might be able to tell,
>but with the 'normal' outside f stops of f8 to f16- it is
>hard to say what took what!

   I'm curious whether your Elmar is coated. The difference in
contrast between my uncoated 50 Elmar and DR Summicron just smack
me across the face, though, taken on their own terms, I find both
to be superb performers. If anything, I actually like the Elmar a
little better since I find most current color films to be too
saturated for my taste, and the lower contrast compensates for
this.

						Howard Sanner
						flagstad@mindspring.com

Replies: Reply from "Dan Post" <dpost@triad.rr.com> (Re: [Leica] comparing new & old lenses (was: Leicas spotted on the BIG screen....))