Subject: Re: [Leica] Where We Post From
From: "Peter A. Klein" <pklein@2alpha.net>
Date: Mon, 09 Jul 2001 11:44:06 -0700

I post from Shoreline, Washington, a strip of land that runs from the
northern Seattle city limits to the King County line, between Puget
Sound and Lake Washington.  We used to be unincorporated, but now we
have a mayor, a city council, and draconian fines for walking one's dog
off-leash in a huge wooded park where everyone's been doing it for
years.

But for most practical purposes, it's Seattle.  You know.  Mount
Rainier.  Microsoft.  Some of the most beautiful scenery on earth.
Coffee culture.  WTO riots.  Traffic and housing prices that are
unbearable and getting worse.  The capital of surface niceness and
Political Correctness.

Bookstores and art films do as well or better here than in NY.  It rains
every day, except in summer.  No humidity or oppressive heat in summer.
It hardly ever snows in winter, and when it does, the whole place comes
to a standstill.

We have Glazer's Camera, a really great pro photo store. There's a nice
rental darkroom up Capital Hill near Seattle University.  And Crown Hill
Photographics in Ballard does near-custom lab work at near-drugstore
prices.

I've been in the Seattle area for 18 years. Before that, 4 years each in
Louisville, KY and Spokane, WA.  I went to college in Boston, and spent
most of my childhood and youth in Lexington, Mass. I spent my first two
years in New York City, a year in Schenectady, NY, then a few years in
Philadelphia before settling in Lexington.

- --Peter Klein