Subject: Re: [Leica] Where We Post From
From: Matt Kollasch <matthew.kollasch@uni.edu>
Date: Mon, 09 Jul 2001 10:54:42 -0500

I hail from Cedar Falls, Iowa, which is located in the NE part of the
state, home of the Universtiy of Northern Iowa (my employer).  We are
5.5 hrs from Chicago, 3.5 hrs from Madison and Mpls and 1.5 hrs from
Iowa City (my favorite Iowa city - home of the Iowa Writer's Workshop,
Greg Brown, Bo Ramsey (he produced and played on the latest Lucinda
Williams album), Prairie Lights Bookstore and Iowa basketball ... ).  I
have been here since the early 70s after growing up in small town in
north central Iowa near the Minnesota border.  I got serious again about
photography this past few years after 28 years of interest.  I began my
RF shotting with two Bessa Rs and 3 Voigtlander lenses. However, just
this past Friday I took the M6 TTL plunge ...  now one Bessa R must go!

I ordered a new M6 TTL from NY Camera and Video along w/ a Summicron
50mm f/2.  I also own Focomat V35 enlarger, which is setting my bedroom
as I build my darkroom.  I am as excited as when I first when to scout
camp years ago!  Can't wait to shoot that M6 and fire up that Focomat. I
have been going to stores to hold the M6 on and off for over a year!  It
is too bad I couldn't afford to shop locally, but the Leica dealer in
Iowa City want $2900 for the body alone!  This is, as you know, absurdly
out of line.

I seem to be the only RF shooter in town, county, state? (other than my
friend Aaron)...  The pros around here seems to shoot Canon or Nikon
gear and the shooters for the newspaper and now my university, all shoot
digital.  Thus, LUG gives me a sense of community beyond the  photo
community here, where shooters seem adverse to sharing ideas and
photos.  And now w/ the purchase of the M6 I have my  LUG bonafides...
Being on this list also inspires and humbles me... I am inspired by the
great shooters who haunt this list as well as humbled by your skills and
knowledge.  But most of all I am inspired to keep on shootin', learnin',
and havin' fun with  photography.  Now just where is my M6... I'll check
that tracking numberjust one more time ...  :)

/matt kollasch