Subject: Re: [Leica] Developing Panatomic-X and TMAX 100
From: "A Leica Shooter" <shooter@linux-info.net>
Date: Mon, 9 Jul 2001 11:28:44 -0400

On Mon, Jul 09, 2001 at 07:20:40AM -0700, Rothman, Aric wrote:
> This may be OT, but with all the B&W expertise present, I thought I'd ask.
>
> I have one roll and Panatomic-X, which was exposed about 10 years ago, and
> never processed.  Ditto for the TMAX 100.  I don't recall whether these
> rolls were exposed at the rated speeds.  Please recommend a developer which
> will give me a chance to produce good images from these films.

Years ago I used a two-bath developer that I bought from Photographers' Formulary, Inc.  The nice thing about this developer is that you cannot over develop the film.  The first bath contains all the necessary chemicals, minus one key chemical.  The second chemical is that one missing chemical.  Once you put the second chemical in, it will exaust itself in the high lights and continue to develop the shadows.  I was able to get some really great, printable negs from Kodak's HIE.  I stopped using it because it softness the grain too much for my liking.

But the developer is such that you can develop any film together and all development times are the same.  Once the second bath exaust the first bath, development stops.  I am sure that if you contacted PHotographers' Formulary (http://www.photoformulary.com/), they can hook you up with this two-bath developer.

For others out there, Photographer's Formulary has a huge number of chemicals, if you are looking to experiment with your B&W stuff!
- --
A Leica Shooter