Subject: Re: [Leica]Leicas spotted on the BIG screen....
From: "Dan Post" <dpost@triad.rr.com>
Date: Mon, 9 Jul 2001 10:26:10 -0400

Well, if it was set in 1937, I would think she would be using a IIIa,
possibly, and a collapsible Summar or Elmar, as I think the IIIb was not
introduced until 1938- unless she had a connection at the factory!! :o)
Incidently, I took an M6 with a Summicron 50 and a IIIc with an Elmar 50 to
the beach- ostensibly the M6 was for color and the IIIc was for B&W, but I
at one point had color film in both. The interesting thing is that when I
got the prints back, I could not tell which roll was shot with which camera!
I guess if I put the negatives under the 'scope at 20x I might be able to
tell, but with the 'normal' outside f stops of f8 to f16- it is hard to say
what took what!
I found the Summarit, when stopped down is almost indistinguishable from the
Summicron, though it has a softness and glow in the bokeh when wide open. I
have found it a reasonable alternaitve to the Summilux 50 I dsold since I
have a few adapter rings, and the Summairt and its square shade looks and
performs formidably on the M6!! ( I admit I like the meter for low light
situations where my little brain needs help with the sunny 16 rule!!)
Dan