Subject: Re: [Leica] Q for the 75 Summlux-M shooters...
From: "B. D. Colen" <bdcolen@earthlink.net>
Date: Sun, 08 Jul 2001 20:35:38 -0400

The 75 is neither a 50 nor a 90, but it is one of the best lenses made
for the M. Fast, sharp. Great low-light lens. Depth of field wide open
is close to nonexistent, however.

If you want to get an excellent inexpensive 50, get the
Cosina/Voigtlander Nokton f 1.5. Rated by Erwin as a bit sharper than
the Summilux 50 - which it should be given that it is a modern aspheric
design and the Summilux is a, what, 40-year-old design. Anyway, you can
get one for about $450, and then figure out whether you want a 75 or a
90. The Cosina/Voigtlander 75 f 2.5, by the way, is also a good,
inexpensive, small - not much bigger than a 50 - alternative to the
Summilux or a 90. It isn't incredibly fast, but it produces good results
and it is an easy lens to toss in your pocket.

B. D.