Subject: [Leica] (Leica) developers
From: "Leslie E. England" <engl6914@iamerica.net>
Date: Sun, 08 Jul 2001 11:05:21 +0000

I'm new to Leica photography--about 5 months now with an M2 and 35, 50,
90.  I'm even newer to developing my own film but have found it to add
enormously to the photography experience.  Using a hand held meter and
developing your own film puts a lot of pressure on you to learn about
film exposure.
    I use HP5 Plus and started with HC-110 as the developer.  I've
thoroughly enjoyed the results, though I've got no other developer
experience to compare it to.  I've bought some pyro but haven't tried it
yet because HC-110 is so convenient and the results are so consistently
good.
    I use Dilution B for 4 min. 30 sec. at 70 degrees in Natchez, Miss.
water.  If I've shot the roll indoors (without flash) I develop for 5
minutes.  If I've shot the roll in bright sunlight I develop for 4
minutes.  The contrasts work out about right at those times and allow
use of a number two filter in a very high percentage of the prints.
    I guess I ought to try other developers, but time isn't my long
suit, and it took some time to learn HC-110 (though I think my
experience would allow learning a new one quicker.)

Lee England
Natchez, Miss.