Subject: Re: [Leica] developers
From: ShadCat11@aol.com
Date: Sat, 7 Jul 2001 16:09:35 EDT

<<you guys have motivated me to at least start developing my own
film again, after a 15 year hiatus.  what film/developer
combinations do you fellows use, to get a guy started?  i
like D(elta)100 and D3200 in 35mm, and am trying out HP5+ in 35 and 120.
i mixed up some ID-11 today to try on D100.>>

In my experience, ID 11 is great with HP5+ but not D3200, which is at its
best in Xtol,  delivering good shadow detail and fine grain at EI 1600..

<<back then, adams and his acolyte picker were my authorities and
they influenced me to use HC-110 for everything.   nobody
here seems to use it anymore...

- -rei>>

For several years I used HC110 (also influenced by Picker) with Tri-X Pan and
was quite happy with it.  If you use any of the "Old Technology" films,
including HP5+, it is still a viable option.  Many photographers don't like
the look of tabular grain films and stick with the traditional emulsions.  I
like the newer stuff (TMX, TMY, TMZ, D100, D400 and D3200) which seems to
prefer developers like T-Max and Xtol, at least in my experience.
ID11/D76/HC110 works well with them, also, but I think the newer soups do
slightly better with regard to the speed/grain/tonality balance.

Allen Zak