Subject: Re: [Leica] Re: still more scanning OT
From: shooter@linux-info.net
Date: Sat, 7 Jul 2001 12:12:22 -0400

On Sat, Jul 07, 2001 at 11:39:06AM -0400, David Kieltyka wrote:
> Bill Lawlor <wvl@infinex.com> wrote:
>
> > Second, has anyone any opinion on the Epson 1640 SU
> > Photo scanner with transparency adapter? It claims
> > 1600 dpi, which would be impressive when a medium
> > format neg or slide is scanned. Is this a bargain at $400?
>
> IMO the 1640SU is top of the line in its price range. For my occasional MF
> pic-taking and print scanning it has done a fine job. I'd take that 1600dpi
> rating with a grain of salt, though. I've scanned at 800, 1600 and
> 3200dpi...I don't think the scanner is resolving much if any additional
> detail at the two higher resolutions. The higher pixel counts are useful
> when printing.

I own the 1640SU.  I think it is OK.  I have learned that if the slide is dark, there is no chance the scanner will be able to get a good scan.  I also noticed that there was a check box <Sharper> or something like that in the options.  When I unchecked it, the image became very soft.  I think that the scanner is not able to focus on the negative because it is a few millimeters farther away from the glass then normal and software is used to get a sharp image.  Has any other 1640SU thoughts on this focus issue?

Shooter

Message from "David Kieltyka" <daverk@msn.com> (Re: [Leica] Re: still more scanning OT)