Subject: Re: [Leica] Re: still more scanning OT
From: Doug Herr <telyt@earthlink.net>
Date: Sat, 07 Jul 2001 05:57:55 -0700

Bill Lawlor wrote:

> I'm very interested in scanning now that I have the 1270 printer. I have
> been satisfied with Kodak Photo CD scans up to 11X17 prints from Leica
> slides. I have a few "better" scans done on a Nikon LS2000 and these will
> stand much more enlargement IMO.
>
> My first question for the list is has anyone an opinion on the merits of the
> Kodak Pro CD scans? Are they worth the difference in price compared to the
> Photo CD?
>
> Thanks, Bill Lawlor

Bill,

I've used the Pro PhotoCD scans extensively.  Compared with the regular
("Master") Photo CD scans, the Pro scans typically have more shadow & highlight
detail, as well as having higher resolution.  I used them regularly for LightJet
and Chromira prints up to 16x20.

One lab owner told me the highest resolution with the Pro scan is interpolated,
and that the Master and Pro scanners have identical dynamic range, so he no
longer offers the Pro service.  However I found his lab's Master scans to be
poorer quality than some others'.  I've also noticed a definite difference in
dynamic range between Master and Pro PhotoCD scans.  Whether this is due to the
operator 's skill or not I don't know.  I do consider the Master and Pro PhotoCD
scans quite a bargain.

Doug Herr
Birdman of Sacramento
http://www.wildlightphoto.com