Subject: Re: [Leica] M6 brightlines
From: John Collier <jbcollier@powersurfr.com>
Date: Fri, 06 Jul 2001 19:50:27 -0600

Oh no, The loading thread again! Just follow the diagram on the camera
bottom BUT:

- -------------
The main thing is to flip open the back and make sure the kinked edge of the
film has not caught on the film gate.
- -------------

The early M cameras recommended that you trim the leader long when loading
just as you did for the screw-mount cameras. If you do trim it long it
cannot get jammed. Modern films have a very short leader and it develops a
kink where it folds over the felt lips. This kink prevents it from sliding
all the way home if the back is not opened. Some cameras seem to be worse
than others. Just why I cannot say but my new M6-TTL requires a watchful eye
while the M4-2 it replaced never jammed once. Perhaps some persistent person
can research it more carefully as I tend to lose interest once the film is
loaded. Sigh, I never quite caught the true Leica-Users need to know spirit
:-).

John Collier