Subject: Re: [Leica] on web design packages
From: Brian Reid <reid@mejac.palo-alto.ca.us>
Date: Thu, 05 Jul 2001 17:22:17 -0700

Dreamweaver and GoLive are both high-end professional packages that, in the
hands of a skilled user, can enable the rapid creation of cutting-edge web
sites with multiple people working on them. If you don't need high-end results,
you don't need a high-end tool. By "high end" I mean something with layers,
flashouts, dynamic navigation bars, and so forth.

I've made thousands of web pages in the past 10 years; I've used every tool
there is and I've made lots of pages by hand. Making them by hand is too slow
for anything that has any structure to it.

I prefer Dreamweaver, and I use it to make most web pages. Dreamweaver and
GoLive have different user-interface concepts, and you will feel comfortable
with one or the other. My suite of software tools is Dreamweaver 4, Fireworks
4, Photoshop 6, HomeSite 4.5, and LinkBot.

If you're only making a few web pages a week, and rarely change them after you
make them, and never have person B making changes to a web site made by person
A, then making them by hand is as good a way as any. The most tedious parts of
making web pages by hand have to do with layer and image sizing and alignment,
and if you aren't using sliced layers and hierarchical navigation bars, it's
not hard to do by hand.

The biggest problem with making web sites by hand is that browsers are very
forgiving of mistakes, and people assume that if it looks right, it is right.
The HTML needs to obey the rules as well as look right on the screen. It is
rare to find a hand-made file that follows the rules and works properly on all
browsers. For examples, Anthony's exquisite handmade web pages are almost
unviewable in Netscape 4.76 on my Windows 98 PC, but look fine in MSIE. Those
two browsers make different default assumptions about what to do when
information is missing. Part of what you get in a web-page software tool is
relentless cross-platform checking.

Replies: Reply from "Mxsmanic" <mxsmanic@hotmail.com> (Re: [Leica] on web design packages)