Subject: Re: [Leica] David Degners question
From: "Douglas Landrum" <dflandrum@earthlink.net>
Date: Wed, 4 Jul 2001 12:36:14 -0700

A few things help to ward off the "pervert" issue.  I have never been
accused of being a pervert, but I have been aware of the issue.  First, if
you are a parent of a child in the activity, the other parents will pay you
no mind.  Second, if you bring a porfolio of photos taken at a similar
activity (a friend, www.edkrebs.com, who is very sucessful at this uses a
loose leaf notebook with prints in plastic sleaves and sells the prints from
the notebook) and leave it at a prominent place, such as a snack bar, most
people catch on that you are trying to take photos to please the parents,
not for perverted purposes.  Third, if you inroduce yourself to the coaches,
teachers or others in charge and explain what you are doing, you usually
will get no resistance.  Fourth, if you show up to the same events over and
over, act professionally and do good work, you will become known and
trusted.  Fifth, tell the parents what you are doing and avoid taking photos
of children of parents that object.  Last, and most important for your
protection - never, never, never ever photograph a child in a secluded place
without lots of people around or if in a secluded or private place, without
the parents present.