Subject: [Leica] Watermarking WWW images (was "Anthony' photos)
From: Andrew Nemeth <azn@nemeng.com>
Date: Tue, 3 Jul 2001 11:16:29 +1000

Anonymous wrote:

>There is worse, of course ... such as sites that put a visible watermark on
>every image, as if their images were so precious and valuable that this
>extreme
>measure is actually justified (at least they do not lack confidence, eh?).

Well maybe, that is until you start to create and display work
of commercial value, then your attitude changes markedly!

For instance, images & sounds I have of the southern most
point of Australia, South East Cape <http://4020.net/secape>.
Content from this region is very rare, and so the temptation
to "use" my material is huge.

In the past I have had my images stolen from my www site for
commercial use at least three times (that I know of).  I was
not paid either time.

Uncredited theft is bad enough, but lately some of the theives
actually have tried to pass off my work as their own (especially
the VR stuff of Sydney during the Olympics).

Well, not any more.  I put a big, bold, partially transparent
watermark on every image I upload now.

I would love to use something more discreet like digital
watermarking, but none of the current technologies work
reliably (if at all).

Regds,

Andrew Nemeth

<http://4020.net>    -> photos, 360° panoramic vrs, sounds