Subject: RE: focus stiffness (was [Leica] Black Hole?)
From: "Rodgers, David" <david.rodgers@xo.com>
Date: Thu, 28 Jun 2001 12:28:12 -0500

Mxsmanic

>>It's like an acoustic piano:  Whenever you tune it, the tuning pins loosen
little bit.  No matter how careful you are, no matter how good you are, you
can't avoid damaging (wearing) the pins and their block down a bit with
every
tuning.  And with a lens, every time you undo a screw or force a ring off a
pressure mount or whatever, something wears down a bit, and it will never be
quite the same again.<<

You used the terms damage and wear as though they're synonymous. Most items
are designed to accept wear and maintenance and still perform at a very high
level.

Sometimes a personal touch works the other way. I bought a 35 Summilux ASPH.
Focusing was stiff. It was grey market so I sent it to Sherry Krauter. It
came back better than new. As smooth as any lens I've ever used. Cost me
$60. I was only without it for a week.

Dave

Replies: Reply from "Mxsmanic" <mxsmanic@hotmail.com> (Re: focus stiffness (was [Leica] Black Hole?))