Subject: Re: [Leica] TLA -- three-letter-abbreviation: WOT
From: "SonC (Sonny Carter)" <SonC@sonc.com>
Date: Thu, 28 Jun 2001 11:25:16 -0500

acronym

Abbreviation Confusing Recollection Of Name You Misremember

Regards,
SonC

From: "Malcolm McCullough"

> >TLA -- three-letter-acronym
>
> Isn't it a 'three-letter-abbreviation'?
> An acronym is an abbreviation that can be pronounced as a
word, like SCSI is
> scuzzy (as in 'my old Sprintscan 4000 is getting really
scuzzy, I must get a
> Nikon 8000ED now'). TLA itself is not an acronym, it is an
abvreviation.
> I know that this sounds very picky, and I do have my
tongue in my cheek, but
> 'acronym' has a particular meaning and if 'acronym' loses
that meaning and
> just becomes another word for abbreviation we should then
have to invent
> another word for an abbreviation that is pronounced as a
word. We would you
> know. Trust me on this.
>
> My favourite acronym, in the official local government
language of 'Bolleaux
> Complets', was / is POSSLQ, pronounced posslekew. 'Person
of the opposite

Replies: Reply from "Barney Quinn, Jr." <barney@ncep.noaa.gov> (Re: [Leica] TLA -- three-letter-abbreviation: WOT)