Subject: Re: focus stiffness (was [Leica] Black Hole?)
From: "Mxsmanic" <mxsmanic@hotmail.com>
Date: Thu, 28 Jun 2001 08:57:15 +0200

Seth Rosner writes:

> I don't mean to quibble but <twice as much play
> as average> doesn't sound like <very slight play>.

In absolute terms, it is about 1/26 of a stop, so it's not very much, but still
more than many other lenses.  Obviously it has no effect on the photographs
taken with the lens.

One of these days, I may sell it and buy a replacement with a tighter aperture
ring (thus paying only the difference between the two lenses).  At this point, I
don't think I'll send it in to get it adjusted, because of the risk of it coming
back broken in some other way.

I've made a note of John Van Stelten's number and e-mail, just in case (although
I'm in Europe, so the lens would probably be sent back to Germany).

> His guesstimate, barring some serious defect
> in component or assembly, would be a cost of
> a $90. - $100.

But the lens still has to be disassembled, doesn't it?

It's like an acoustic piano:  Whenever you tune it, the tuning pins loosen a
little bit.  No matter how careful you are, no matter how good you are, you
can't avoid damaging (wearing) the pins and their block down a bit with every
tuning.  And with a lens, every time you undo a screw or force a ring off a
pressure mount or whatever, something wears down a bit, and it will never be
quite the same again.

I just think it's unfortunate that the lens has this play to begin with.
Obviously some aspects of the lens are never even checked in quality control.  I
don't believe in sending products back for free service when they have
manufacturing defects; I believe in having them manufactured without defects in
the first place.  But I guess nobody is conscientious enough to do that anymore,
not even Leica.