Subject: Re: [Leica] OT Zone VI Enlarger
From: Mark Rabiner <mark@rabiner.cncoffice.com>
Date: Wed, 27 Jun 2001 15:33:48 -0700

> > I am considering getting a Zone VI variable contrast enlarger- I need
> > something bigger for a 6x17 camera I'm putting together.  Does anyone in
> > LUGland have any experience with these.  If so, how do you like it?  I
> played
> > with one at Calumet and it looks to be very nice.  TIA
> > Richard Wasserman

On the Darkroom Newsgroup the Aristo heads seem to win out by a landslide over
the zone VI'ers which get lots of raspberries. Plenty of people have switch from
VI to Aristo but you don't hear the other way around.
And having dealt with the company for over 20 years I have a liking and loyalty
for what Alan Johnson puts out.
I'd opt for a Beseler 8x10 with the Aristo VC cold light on it!
Amazingly affordable and just might be the best approach regardless to working
with larger negs then 4x5
A side benefit is you can make enlarged proofs from a whole roll of film.
An enlarged contact print in effect but not in contact. These can be viewed with
out a Loup. People love 'em.
I hear that although the zone VI enlargers look awesome in the ads and brochures
that are plastic feeling as they are made of disappointing plastic.
Their heads it seems have been rethunk now so who knows.
And the enlargers themselves might have been also.

Mark Rabiner

Portland, Oregon
USA

http://www.rabiner.cncoffice.com/