Subject: Re: [Leica] Back Pain & Bags
From: "Peter A. Klein" <pklein@2alpha.net>
Date: Wed, 27 Jun 2001 13:25:39 -0700

I use a little LowePro Orion Mini fanny pack (bum bag for those of the
British persuasion).  I used it almost every waking hour for two weeks
in Italy, and never had any back or shoulder problems.  The inserts are
nylon covering a thin layer of foam (probably closed-cell).  They are
affixed inside with Velcro, and you can adjust the size of the
compartments by moving the inserts around.

Using this bag, I could easily fit my entire outfit:  One M body, four
lenses (24, 35, 50, 90), hoods for all of them, and a Luna Pro digital
meter in the front pocket. Two polarizing filters in the mesh side
pockets.  One can of fresh film in my left pants pocket, exposed film in
the right pocket.  Slight cheat:  Camera clamp/table tripod combo gadget
and cable release went into the backpack which also held food, water,
jackets and extra film.

I took my 90 Elmar, but the Orion Mini can also hold the same outfit
with an 85/2 instead of the 90 Elmar.

For additional theft insurance, I used a thick rubber band (the kind
used to fasten a bunch of bananas together), wrapped twice around the
buckle.  This foils the "squeeze buckle and run"

With the bag to the rear, it's very comfortable.  To the front, it takes
a little getting used to and does accentuate middle-aged paunch a bit,
but is still quite usable.  The main compartment and front pocket have
dual zippers, and the main cover opens away from you, making lens
changes very convenient.

The Kinesis belts look very attractive, as you can distribute the weight
around the belt.  However, they cost a bit.  My Orion Mini cost all of
$35.  And I can even sling it over my shoulder for a while if I wish.

- --Peter Klein
Seattle

Skip Williams says: