Subject: Re: [Leica] Black Hole?
From: Gilbert Plantinga <gilplant@earthlink.net>
Date: Tue, 26 Jun 2001 15:11:03 -0400

on 6/26/01 2:48 PM, Zeissler, Mitch at mzeissle@gcipoa.gannett.com wrote:

> It's a very early version of the f/1.0 [1975 serial: 2749xxx].  It has
> the stiffest focusing I've ever encountered with any lens from any
> manufacturer.  I thought it would loosen up with use, but it did not.  I
> was willing to live with it until I made the mistake of attending the
> Leica Day they had here last fall, when I played with other lenses that
> focusing buttery smooth.
>
> Sherry tried all of her tricks and couldn't fix it, saying it ultimately
> would have to go to Solms.  She also said it was so securely sealed that
> she thought they would have to go in through the front element [thereby
> breaking it] to open it up.
>
> The reason I'm wanting to make a stink relatively early in the game is
> that I want the lens back before we go on vacation.  It has already been
> sorely missed during a once-in-a-lifetime family gathering and I want to
> avoid any further misses as much as possible.
>
> /Mitch

Brace yourself. I had a 90 Tele-Emarit (thin) that was damaged in an auto
accident. Leica NJ had to send it to Solms. It took a year and a half to get
it back, and for the cost of the repair I could have replaced it. The other
guy's insurance company paid the bill, and insisted on repair over
replacement. I bought another 90 to use in the mean time.

Gilbert (who suddenly remembers that he has an 'extra' 90 lying around)