Subject: Re: [Leica] cams
From: Doug Herr <telyt@earthlink.net>
Date: 25 Jun 2001 13:44:54 -0700

On Mon, 25 June 2001, lea wrote:

> Your post is why I love these groups so much....so much info in such a short amount of time. Thank you, thank you.
>
> May I be specific and ask if the 60mm macro lens will sync and meter with the Leica R6 (not the 6.2) body?
>
> Would I have to be cautios to have a certain specific model year for them to work together?
>
> The lens is in one shop and the body in another.......
>
> I appreciate your help and info.
> Lea

Lea,

The earliest 60mm Macro lenses were made with 2 cams so you do need to be sure the lens has the 3rd cam for the R6.  It can be added to a 2-cam lens but that's extra $$ and if it's a 2-cam lens it should be priced accordingly.

I don't know what the s/n cutoff is where Leica started making the 60 with 3 cams, but if the lens has an orange "60" engraved on the barrel next to the dept-of-field scale, it left the factory with the R cam.  A lens that does NOT have this engraving may or may not have the R metering cam, in which case you'll have to examine the mount side of the lens and know what to look for.  The Leicaflex metering cams are sloped arcs at the 12 o'clock and (approximately) 6 o'clock positions.  As far as I know, except for ROM lenses all 60 Macro lenses should have these.  These move with the aperture ring when you change apertures.  There's also a lever at about the 3 o'clock position that moves with the aperture ring, but also can be moved independantly with your finger.  When you move this lever you should see the diaphragm blades open and close, limited to full aperture at the lower end of its range, and the aperture set on the aperture ring at the high end of its range.  This is not the 3rd metering cam.

The R metering cam is a stepped piece of metal immediately inboard of the Leicaflex cam at the 6 o'clock position.  It moves with the aperture control ring just like the other cams do, and cannot be moved independant of the aperture control ring.

I apologize for the long response but there's no easier way to explain it until Jem Kime jumps in and points us to his web page with drawings and stuff.

For more info on this lens and a wimpy photo of my own 3-cam Macro-Elmarit-R see:

http://www.wildlightphoto.com/leica/60R28.HTM

Doug Herr
Birdman of Sacramento
http://www.wildlightphoto.com