Subject: RE: [Leica] advice on buying a leica
From: "Dan Honemann" <danh@selectsa.com>
Date: Fri, 22 Jun 2001 19:59:37 -0400

Brad,

> i do wear eyeglasses.  i've used a .72x finder pretty extensively, and it
> always seems a tad small, especially with the 90mm i frequently
> borrow from
> the store where i work.  i like the idea of more accurrate focusing.  i
> don't anticipate using a 28mm.  i'd like eventually to get a 21mm
> (or maybe even one of those really cool-looking voigtlander 12mm lenses.)

I can't even see the 35 mm frames on the .85x finder; the .72x are barely
visible to me.  I also find the 50 frames to be a bit too crowded in the
higher mag. finder: I like some real estate outside the frames to get an
idea of what's coming and going.

But that's just me.  If I shot a 90, I'd prefer the .85x frames for that,
for sure.

Here's how I'd match up the ideal framelines for the following lenses:

90 + .85x
50 + .72x
35 + .58x

> i also really like a 50mm perspective, which is why i plan on making it my
> first leica lens.  i'd like the extra speed of the 1.4, but it costs SO
> much more.

The cron is sharper and smaller: you'll be amazed at how slow you can shoot
with this lens hand held (even 1/4 sec. is possible).

> ooh, can i get the 10% on top of the $200 rebate?

Not only that, but they take the 10% off _before_ the rebate.  It's the only
way to buy new.

> i'd still have to pay sales tax on that if i bought it in the shop where i
work,
> which is 8 1/2%. our next leica day will be in october, i think.

A lot of dealers will honor the discount on phone orders on their Leica
Days; Rich Pinto springs to mind, and he'd be a great source to buy from
(don't think he's having another Leica Day till October, though, and you
always run the risk of there being no rebate then).

> i'm not sure what kind of employee purchase deal i can get from our leica
> dealer.  he's a pretty small scale dealer, and i think i'd have to wait
> until the end of the year when he turns over his sample inventory.  i do
> know i'd get a 3-year passport warranty on that, so it might be
> worth it to wait.

Here's the list of scheduled Leica Days:

http://www.leica-camera.com/unternehmen/international/usa/events/index_e.htm

Find the next one that suits you and order from them.  Don't put it off too
long--photo opportunities are out there just waiting for you! :)

Dan