Subject: Re: [Leica] Was Copyright questions, in defense of the R8.
From: "Mxsmanic" <mxsmanic@hotmail.com>
Date: Fri, 22 Jun 2001 19:39:41 +0200

Barney Quinn, Jr. writes:

> I should hope that the F5 has the world's most
> advanced metering system given that it costs
> half again as much as an R8 or a 1v.

Does it?  Hmm ... I only see about a 20% difference.  Still ... if Leica had the
equivalent of that marvellous trio of Nikkor AF-S zooms (17-35, 28-70, and
80-200, all a constant f/2.8, all with piezoelectric autofocus and constant
manual override), it would be tempting.

> What's amazing to me is that my M6 almost never
> gets fooled.

After getting an M6, I was surprised at how accurately the primitive meter was,
overall.  But then again, I suppose metering isn't really black magic, and most
meters probably get most situations right.

> The R8, F5 and 1v all pass the test with an A+,
> meaning that I end up with 36 out of 36 technically
> perfect slides.

That has been my experience with the F5 as well (I haven't used the others).  I
can't say as much for my N80, although it does fairly well, and my crusty old FG
has significant problems (it always has).

> The F3, F4, EOS 1 and 1n miss between two
> and four shots per roll.

Like my FG.  A sign of the times, perhaps?

> But, I also think that people are beginning to
> catch on to the fact that there are many, many,
> many other situations wherein all this complexity
> isn't really all that helpful.

After using an M6 for a while and being forced to go back and think about ISO
ratings, f-stops, and shutter speeds again, I finally figured out that in a lot
of situations, you can just guess the correct exposure and get things right.
This is certainly true for daylit scenes, and it is even easier if you are
shooting negative film (although it works even with slides).

Replies: Reply from "Barney Quinn, Jr." <barney@ncep.noaa.gov> (Re: [Leica] Was Copyright questions, in defense of the R8.)
Message from "Mxsmanic" <mxsmanic@hotmail.com> (Re: [Leica] Was Copyright questions, in defense of the R8.)
Message from "Barney Quinn, Jr." <barney@ncep.noaa.gov> (Re: [Leica] Was Copyright questions, in defense of the R8.)