Subject: Re: [Leica] Copyright questions
From: "Mxsmanic" <mxsmanic@hotmail.com>
Date: Fri, 22 Jun 2001 19:20:21 +0200

Dan Honemann writes:

> Are you shooting slide film?

Yes, mostly Fujichrome Provia 100F, sometimes Provia 400F, much more rarely
Velvia.

I usually don't shoot negative film for color at all, except for Portra 800 if I
really need the speed.

> A fellow LUGger was kind enough to mail me a
> sleeve of slides shot with both Leica R (35/2,
> 50/2, 50/1.4, 80/1.4) and Nikon glass (28/2.8
> AIS, 50/1.8, 80-200/2.8, 105/2.8)--and the
> differences were often striking: both are sharp,
> of course, but the R slides have greater contrast,
> richer colors, and that incredible bokeh that
> makes the foreground subjects really stand out.

Hmm ... one of my most striking recent photos (from a technical standpoint) was
shot with the AF-S Nikkor 80-200/2.8D ED-IF.  However, there doesn't seem to be
much of a pattern, as I get nice images from both the Leica and Nikon glass.
The only consistent trend is that only the high-end Nikkor glass looks anything
like the Leica glass.  There is no contest with the cheaper lenses.

It is interesting to note that the Nikon and Leica lenses that look the same
also cost about the same.