Subject: Re: [Leica] photography in stores, malls, etc.
From: brad daly <bwdaly@hiwaay.net>
Date: Thu, 21 Jun 2001 21:14:35 -0500

herb:

>A few years ago, I was stopped from photographing the party I was
>with at the checkout counter of a supermarket in Portugal.  I don't
>know why.  Not knowing Portuguese but assuming that Spanish would
>work, I said: "Mis amigos," but the harridan, who outweighed me by at
>least a factor of two, kept saying "No, no."

i was made to stop taking pictures in central market in austin, texas, last
year.  of course, i was being really obnoxious and using a flash.

we have a new, upscale outdoor mall here in bombingham, the summit, which
is suited just perfectly for dusk photography.  unfortunately, the evil
management of the summit will not allow photography on the premises.  their
excuse is the copyright of the architects (and i use the term loosely in
reference to this structure) and the photographers who've shot the
buildings for commerical purposes.  i think the real reason is so johnny
bourgeois, MD, won't end up seeing pictures of his 13-year-old daughter
getting felt up through her britney spears halter top.  (sorry, the way the
white-flight kids act when hanging out that this place bugs me.)  the
rent-a-cops at the summit get all LAPD if they catch you doing photography.

one of my friends got around this by photographing under the powerlines,
which, in alabama, is public right-of-way, and by ingeniously taking his
pinhole camera into stores and setting it on the shelves.  no one knew what
it was.

- --darb

- --
brad daly	                  bwdaly@hiwaay.net
photographs: http://home.hiwaay.net/~bwdaly
"I can't imagine anything good about being blind and lame at the same time."
	--Alvin Straight

Replies: Reply from S Dimitrov <sld@earthlink.net> (Re: [Leica] photography in stores, malls, etc.)