Subject: RE: [Leica] Robert Capa Photo
From: "Griffith, Lucian" <griffil1@anz.com>
Date: Fri, 22 Jun 2001 08:39:54 +1000

Mxsmanic wrote:
>If the origin of the original is in question, why would the origin of the
>"alternative" version be any more certain?

Both very similar pose, attributed to the same photographer, of the same
event, at the same time, but obviously different photos (I dug the article
out of my files last night, and realised it appeared in The Review section
of the Australian newspaper, not the Age).  I merely point out that two
versions of the same shot suggest the shot was posed and the exact image to
use was not decided upon until after an alternative had already been
published.

But, like I said in my last response on this topic - I don't really care if
it was posed or not - it's not really all that important to me.  What is
more interesting to me is that we're here talking about it this long after
the event, and the image is still causing considerable debate.  Even amongst
the "It's fake" crowd I don't think there's any question that the photo has
icon status amongst war photojournalism.  The fact that we're still arguing
about it means it's invested with multiple meanings ... (sorry, trailing off
into academic mode again, I'll get back in my box...)

cheers,
Lucian G.