Subject: [Leica] RE: Leica Users digest V20 #98
From: Sanjay Nasta <snasta@microassist.net>
Date: Wed, 20 Jun 2001 16:11:38 -0500

Most stores are paranoid about people taking pictures or recording prices.
There's a story in Sam Walton's book (of Walmart fame) where he was walking
around a store and taking notes on price with his tape recorder.  He got
caught by a guard who pointed to a sign saying that was prohibited and
confiscated the tape.  Mr. Walton wrote to the CEO of the chain who
graciously returned the tape.

I know in the U.S. I tried to take pictures at Home Depot of light fixtures
a couple of years ago (we were building a house and thought that was an easy
way to remember items we liked)....we were promptly stopped.  Personally I
think it's stupid--you can get the information you want quite easily...it
just stops the innocent.

> Here in Indonesia, most stores and supermarkets
> of any size display a sign prohibiting photography.
> I think they do it for security reasons, afraid
> somebody might be "casing the joint".

And of course the bad guys will refrain reliably based on the sign.  They'd
never try to sneak a shot with a small camera!

Replies: Reply from S Dimitrov <sld@earthlink.net> (Re: [Leica] RE: Leica Users digest V20 #98)