Subject: Re: [Leica] best way to clean a LS-2000
From: "Mxsmanic" <mxsmanic@hotmail.com>
Date: Wed, 20 Jun 2001 10:24:02 +0200

You almost certainly have dirt on the small mirror that directs light coming
down through the film into the lens.  It tends to build up a layer of dust.  I
saw the same symptom and it was a while before I figured out what was going on.
The lens itself (which is mounted horizontally) does not seem to collect dust,
nor does anything else.

You can clean the mirror just as you would any good lens.  I have used a Q-tip
moistened with Kodak lens cleaning fluid followed by a dry Q-tip to dry the
mirror off.  Seems to work just fine.  Since I discovered what causes this, I've
been careful to check the mirror for dust before any major scanning job.
Usually a very light brush with a Q-tip is sufficient to remove any traces of
dust, once you are keeping it clean.