Subject: Re: [Leica] help about m6
From: Mark Rabiner <mark@rabiner.cncoffice.com>
Date: Tue, 19 Jun 2001 11:46:07 -0700

mario travaini wrote:

> Hi everybody, I just found this great web site on the net and i'd like to
> ask a question(i don't know if i have to be a member for this but i try)
> I just sold my nikon f4 and i'm just going to do reality an old dream, buy a
> Leica m6 model, problem is that at the shop they offered me a m4 for half of
> the price, can anybody tell me what are the differences between those
> models. I primary will use the camera to take pictures to people in Africa
> for a one year travel.
> If someone can answer this e-mail i'll be more than happy, if not then it's
> also ok.
> Thank you all very much.
>
> Mario Travaini-Denmark

I've been shooting exclusively with a Hasselblad and a hand held meter for over
a month now.
Replace that Hasselblad with an M4 and I'd feel right at home; no big shock. I
take the reading with my Gossen luna pro digital F, then set the camera. The
Leica does not have the EV system i love so much but i can deal with it. (I had
it with the Voigtländer Vito BL i started with in the 60's)
But both my Leica's are M6's. I think it is worth it. And i have 90's and 135
lenses. THE TTL meter is reading just the area the lens is looking at. And with
filter. It's worth it i think.

I went from Nikon SLR's to Leica M and i wanted the transition in my way of
working to be as smooth as possible. I wanted to see how much the Leicas could
do that the Nikons did. In 8 years I'll say there is little or nothing the
Nikons do the Leicas don't. Flash in the sun not so great. Macro it's surprising
the close up's I've done with my M6 with no Viso or dual range. Long tele the
135 3.4 redefines such photography for me but it ain't a 180. But I'm just
getting going on Viso so that area (longer tele) could easily be nicely covered
as well.
Mark Rabiner

Portland, Oregon
USA