Subject: Re: Pete's drum scan (was: Re: [Leica] "Pete")
From: "Mxsmanic" <mxsmanic@hotmail.com>
Date: Tue, 19 Jun 2001 09:42:29 +0200

Doug Herr writes:

> ... one problem I've had with PhotoCD is bleeding
> of extreme highlights into adjacent extreme shadows.

The scanner is probably dirty.  I had that problem once with my LS-2000, and
thought it was just a scanner shortcoming, until I finally looked inside and
discovered that a layer of dust had built up _very gradually_ on one of the
internal mirrors.  It was slow enough that I never noticed the change and did
not realize that it wasn't normal for the scans.  I carefully removed the dust
and now the scans do not "bleed"--for a while, with the dust, it was really bad.
I suspect that the scanner used for your PhotoCD photos was dusty as well.

Drum scanners use a single travelling spot of light, as I recall, and fewer
mirrors, so they are not subject to this problem.

> In most of the Pro PhotoCD scans I've gotten,
> the circumstances that demonstrate the "bleeding"
> effect don't show up or the effect is negligible.

They probably just keep the scanners cleaner.