Subject: RE: [Leica] Copyright questions
From: "Griffith, Lucian" <griffil1@anz.com>
Date: Tue, 19 Jun 2001 16:18:04 +1000

Dave wrote in part:
>I've always been curious. Was it because they didn't want any type of
>commercial photography in the mall? I can understand that. Was it an
>intellectual property issue? Perhaps it was both, and then some. What I
find
>interesting is that the guard ignored me the times I used my Leicas. He
>stopped me when I used my Hasselblad.

Yes, I always feel far _far_ more serious when I'm using the Hasselblad...
;)
On the same note a similar thing happened to me today, viewing a photography
exhibition at RMIT in Melbourne.  I photographed my friend lying
insouciantly on the seating in the middle of the gallery hall (potentially
with the photo works on the wall in the background) and was accosted by the
gallery attendant.  She waved a "copyright form" in my face and told me that
now that I'd taken a photo I would have to fill it in and sign it.  I
pointed out to her that I'd just taken a photograph of my friend - not the
artwork - and I wasn't going to fill in her form.  She went on to explain
that it was for the protection of the artist's copyright and if I published
the photo somewhere ... blah blah.  I told her that I understood all that
(being a photographer) and that the works probably weren't even in the
frame!  I then walked out, leaving her waving her form.

It was a rather nonsensical situation especially as the photograph was being
taken with (wait for it) a Leica Z2X (ie. a happy snapper) - the idea that I
might use this tool to take surreptitious photos of artworks to publish is
just absurd.

I've also been in a similar situation in a department store (Myer Melbourne)
when, after taking one photograph of rows and rows of identically arranged
shoes was promptly told by a security guard that this was verboten, and that
I should put away my camera immediately!

I understand that I'm in someone else's building (in the first case a public
educational institution gallery, the second a department store) and that
they can make up any rules that they like - but there's certainly no signage
outside of either proscribing photography. IMHO the apparent fear that seems
to grip public attendants in these places viz "copyright" is akin to South
Pacific "natives" fearing the loss or diminishment of their soul if
photographed.  It gets on my nerves.

cheers,
Lucian G.

Replies: Reply from "Mxsmanic" <mxsmanic@hotmail.com> (Re: [Leica] Copyright questions)