Subject: RE: [Leica] do i deserve to own this leica?
From: "Dan Honemann" <ddh@home.com>
Date: Mon, 18 Jun 2001 10:47:16 -0400

Kyle,

>  http://www.asc.upenn.edu/usr/cassidy/pix/portfolio/

When you ask, "do I deserve my Leica," has an image been created of what a
deserving portfolio would look like--with yours dutifully measured up
against that image?

I ask because this is something my mind does often: creates images of a
"right" reality and then juxtaposes those images against reality itself.
This process might serve as a working definition for the term suffering.

The truth is, your work stands on its own.  I look through your images (as I
often do) and find them to be compelling and inspiring.  They are so
creative and playful--they say "to hell with the rules, follow your heart
and your vision!"  I love that.

This says nothing at all about _you_, your worth or your talents (this "you"
is also just an image).  All of that is extra (and extraneous).

What would it be like to stumble across these photos and see them openly,
not from a judging stance that evaluates their merits against an ideal, nor
from a bias of their being "mine," but just to see them?

I can tell you from here they look damned good.  In fact, your site is
bookmarked in my pantheon of favorite online galleries; here are the others:

http://www.deepturtle.com/steve/photos/index.html

http://www.pinkheadedbug.com/

http://www.robertappleby.com/index.htm

http://www.wildlightphoto.com/