Subject: Re: [Leica] Re: Lone Cypress trademark
From: Rob McElroy <idag@pce.net>
Date: Fri, 15 Jun 2001 12:43:13 -0400

Jim,

Thanks for the update on the Lone Cypress.   You stated "The reason they won't let you take "professional" photographs of the Lone Cypress is because
that is the only way they have of protecting it. It is private property and they can control all uses of the property. But they cannot keep artists
from using photographs, drawings, etc. of the rock and tree, in saleable artwork."  Does that mean someone is still enforcing the "No Professional
Photographs" rule?  If so, don't they still let tourists photograph there without restriction?  I'm curious if the use of a tripod is the determining
factor when the Lone Cypress Police appear out of nowhere with their guns drawn.  What could they possibly charge you with if you refused to stop
taking a photograph from the same vantage point that other tourists were shooting from?

If I do travel to northern California with my fully outfitted daguerreotype van, I will make a daguerreotype of the Lone Cypress and I will not obey
any yo-yo in a uniform who tells me to stop.   He will have to arrest and formally charge me with an offense to get me to move.  You might be able to
tell, I have a certain disdain for authoritative figures who try and control my behavior just because they "think" they have the authority to, by the
mere fact they are wearing a badge.   If I break a law by photographing a tree - tell me what it is; cite the specific statute; and charge me with the
crime.  I will eagerly await that day in court.

Regards,
Rob McElroy
Buffalo, NY

Replies: Reply from "Mxsmanic" <mxsmanic@hotmail.com> (Re: [Leica] Re: Lone Cypress trademark)