Subject: Re: [Leica] Re: Shoulder Stock
From: Doug Herr <telyt@earthlink.net>
Date: 15 Jun 2001 07:58:51 -0700

On Fri, 15 June 2001, "Sal DiMarco,Jr." wrote:

> Luggers,
>     While the shoulder stock is a very good product, and works very well for
> some people, I'd recommend a good monopod.
>     I think it is a steadier way to hold long lenses.
> Happy Snaps,
> Sal DiMarco, Jr.
> Philadelphia, PA

Sal,

My experience suggests that the shoulder stock and the monopod control different types of camera movement and that a combination of the two supports gives excellent stability.  It's not the stability of a good tripod but for shutter speeds just beyond the slow end of hand-holdable it's very good and is much more mobile than the tripod would be (especially in heavy brush!!).

At present I'm using an older Leica shoulder stock which has a flat bar instead of the handgrip found on later models.  The flat bar has a tripod socket, to which I've attached a monopod with a tilt head.

Doug Herr
Birdman of Sacramento
http://www.wildlightphoto.com
The ALL NEW CS2000 from CompuServe