Subject: Re: [Leica] Copyright questions
From: "Harold Gess" <Harold.Gess@btinternet.com>
Date: Thu, 14 Jun 2001 22:40:32 +0100

Hi

I may be wrong on this one, and I think we may still have at least one
copyright lawyer in our midst, but I have photographed sculptures and other
art for a number of clients and I have always understood that the issue of
copyright infringement on such items hinges on the use of the photographs.

The usual thinking would seem to be that where the photograph is not
intended for commercial use (eg selling postcards of the artwork or use for
advetising) the copyright issue would not come into play.

If the photograph is to be displayed as a winning photograph I do not think
there is a copyright issue here. If the winning photographs were turned into
postcards and sold or given away then I think the copyright would be deemed
to have been infringed.

keep well

Harold