Subject: Re: [Leica] Early M6 query
From: V8PWR@aol.com
Date: Thu, 14 Jun 2001 14:59:52 EDT

Dans un courrier daté du 14/06/01 19:00:07 Paris, Madrid (heure d'été),
shino@ubspainewebber.com a écrit :

> how can the m6 tell if light is insufficient for "any combination of
>  f-stops and shutter speeds?"  i was under the impression
>  that the m6 doesn't "know" what aperture you are setting, that there is
>  no mechanical transmission of aperture setting to the body, and that the
>  manner in which  the meter reacts to the aperture is that the aperture
> actually
>  opens and closes and thus increases and reduces the light shining onto the
>  white disk on the shutter curtain.  the set shutter speeds, of course,
needs
>  to be an input into the meter.
>
>  therefore, i don't think the m6 can distinguish between 1) the aperture
>  closed up to f16, and 2) the light levels being very low.
>
>  i say this because i have an m6 in which if my aperture is set much too
> small
>  neither LED lights up, and as i progressively open the aperture, first
>  the left LED then both illuminate.  (i guess this is the "old" m6, i never
>  knew about the blinking m6's.)  therefore, the fact that neither LED
>  illuminates does not necessarily signify that no combination of shutter and
>  aperture will yield a proper exposure.
>
>  -rei

Dear Rei .
The first M6 were able to mesure total light level to a certain value .
Those had the 2 leds shutting off if the EV was too low for the
system to process such low values .
The 2nd batch were also able to mesure only total light level , but
the 2 leds , instead of beeing shut off , actually blinked when the
EV was too low .
Am I wrong ?
Regards

JO GOODTIMES -FRANCE/ AIRBORNE RADAR TECH / LIVE FREE OR DIE
will soon walk with mud covered combat boots...