Subject: Re: [Leica] Early M6 query
From: Marc James Small <msmall@roanoke.infi.net>
Date: Thu, 14 Jun 2001 11:55:15 -0700

At 11:02 AM 6/14/01 EDT, Mark Langer wrote:
>I've got a lead on a clean M6 from about 85 and 86 that I've been told is
>a Weztlar one.  My chief Leica guru has told me to look for an early M6
>before the plastic film counter dial, but not so early that it lacks the
>blinking lights.  I haven't heard back from my oracle yet, so I come to
>LUG as the source of all knowledge and in the hope that I don't spark a
>flame war with my innocent questions.  Is there any advantage to getting
>an earlier M6 over a later one?  While I know about the plastic film
>counter, when did this modification come in?  Finally, what are the
>"blinking lights"?

I have a Wetzlar M6.  It originally came with metering lights which did not
indicate when the light was insufficient to take a picture under any
combination of speed and f-stops.  Around 1988, this was changed so that,
under these circumstances, the metering lights in the VF blink.  Leica has
been replacing the older metering system with the newer ones whenever an
early M6 passes through their hands, so this may have already been done on
this camera.

Marc

msmall@roanoke.infi.net  FAX:  +540/343-7315
Cha robh bas fir gun ghras fir!