Subject: Re: [Leica] Russian Leica Copy Heresy
From: "Stanislaw B.A. Stawowy" <watteau@krakow.neurosoft.net>
Date: Thu, 14 Jun 2001 15:56:36 +0200

> Has anyone tried to shoot one of the "Russian" LTM copies that are showing
> up....?  Do they properly accept LTM Lenses?  Are the cameras in tolerance
> when received?  Do they last?
>
> They look like a Leica IIIC of IIIF. Sometimes in gold with audacious
> markings...!

I have a Zorki (not Zorki 1 , just Zorki). As I can judge from interior
and overall design, it is incredibily similar to Leica II. The same
elements, easily shareable (I actually repaired one Leica II with
Zorki parts). Rangefinder mirror, being usually never and made in
slightly different way, colors image more yellowish than this in Leica,
but is usually brighter and tad easier to focus.
Body covering is far worse than Leica II vulcanite, but doesn't crack
as easily.
Rangefinder cam catches Elmar 3.5/135 focusing tab, so you cannot use
Elmar on Zorkis and Feds. Despite this, you can use Summars, Elmars,
Summitars and all that stuff on Russian cameras, and it will couple
well to rangefinder; you can adjust rangefinder too.
These are well built cameras, made from chromed brass, not too heavy
and usually having newer and therefore better working shutters.
An excellent second bodies for III / Bessa R/T / Canon 6/7 users!

There is also Russian Rangefinder Users Group at rrug@topica.com also :)

Email me privately for details about Russian rangefinders :)
- -----
                                St.