Subject: RE: [Leica] W and Leicas...
From: leica@davidmorton.org
Date: Thu, 14 Jun 2001 00:32:26 +0100

Mark Rabiner wrote:

"Who thought that one up the pixel manufacturers?"

I was merely stating how press photography works in the UK in the 21st
century.

"For decades photographers shot Tri x or C41 and it was certainly in
tomorrows paper."

Yes, and they used Speed Graphics, Flashbulbs, Rolleiflexes and GOK what
else. They don't any more.

"It was in todays paper. Still is."

Not in the UK nationals it isn't. I remember posting to the LUG when a whole
bunch of the UK nationals told freelancers that unless they were equipped
with a pro digicam, laptop and GSM 'phone they *wouldn't get assignments*.
It's in the archive, I think it was sometime in late 1999.

"C41 is 17 mintues dry to dry in many machines
a scan takes a minute."

Yes, and do you imagine I don't know this? I already said the papers have
closed their labs. The savings on film, lab staff costs and bike couriers
have paid for the investment in digital for staff photographers (and left a
substantial amount of change, by all accounts). Many pictures are sent
directly from the location to the picture desk via laptop and mobile 'phone
saving a substantial amount of time and money.

It's a done deal, film's deader than mutton for press work in the UK.

- --
David Morton
dmorton@journalist.co.uk

"The more opinions you have, the less you see." -- Wim Wenders.