Subject: Re: [Leica] what and why you photograph (long response)
From: George Lottermoser <imagist@concentric.net>
Date: Tue, 12 Jun 2001 09:53:23 -0500

telyt@earthlink.net (Doug Herr)6/11/0112:07 PM

> > vision (no pun intended) of what I want from this medium.
I'd love to hear
> > statements from others about their visions and goals.
> >
> > Besides, it will be a most welcome break for me from mulling
too much over
> > equipment purchasing decisions.

Dan,
Dad had an enlarger in the basement which attracted my interest
at around age 12 (1958). First roll of film - 620 - in an Ansco
something or other, and I made my first print on 20 year old
Dupont 5x7 paper with chemicals of about the same vintage. That
hooked me. Around age 14 I started cleaning a commercial studio
on Saturdays, and Dad let me occasionaly use his Argus C-3. And
by 15 the studio actually said I could use the Speed Graphic,
Deardorf, and Bronicas. Bought a Mamiya C-2 about that time and
did all the high school year book and student newspaper stuff and
had the run of the school darkroom as well as the commercial
studio's darkrooms all through high school. Bought my first M-2
in 1965 and worked my way through art school at the commercial
studio and moonlighting in freelance photo journalism. Eventually
got fired from the commercial studio for printing 20x24 anti-war
and civil rights posters in their darkroom. During the early
years of those struggles tempers ran pretty hot. Went full time
into freelance photo journalism for about 6 years - my true love.
But eventually I had to earn real money and stay home to support
my new daughter and returned to commercial photography and
graphic design (still self employed) for 20 years. Managed to
have a few really good and loyal clients for most of those years,
but when individuals started retiring I lost the accounts as the
new young managers brought their folks in. Now, I find myself
returning to more heart felt and personal work and a much lower
income. During all of this I managed to have gallery shows, or
exhibit in group shows every year or three. My only regret in
this wonderful life - that I didn't stay with photo journalism -
my first and true love.

As far as vision: With such a wide and varied background in the
medium - it all interests me - which has a down side - a huge and
varied body of work that no one can really get a handle on -
including me.

Currently holding my interest:
4x5 Linhof 5:1 macros
120 Hasselblad documentation of 3 blacksmiths working on the
Villa Terrace Neptune Gate (a Wisconsin Arts Board Grant)
35mm Leica journaling of my life
Teaching Visual Design for Interactive Multimedia at Columbia
College
And still doing some advertising design and photography for few
clients

George